The City high school annual class play, which is ready an institution, will perhaps have to be abandoned this year and consequently there is a feeling generally of disappointment.
American Legion Members, ca. 1919 The old photograph above was generously loaned to the Beacon by Mr. Leon Moreland. It is of the first members of the American Legion Post after it… Read More
The bell, from 1881 to 1950, hung in the belfry of the old courthouse building and it was almost lost when the old building was demolished to make way for the present structure. For the price of $50.00 it was redeemed from the contractor and has been stored in the parish highway barn awaiting the time when sufficient public Interest would demand Its restoration.
“The passing of this kindly and illustrious citizen, a true Southern Gentleman in the finest sense of the word, has left a void that can never be filled. But the community is richer for his having lived.”
This photograph shows all but one person attending Rayville High School during the 1913-14 school year. Included in the group are grades seven through 11. Teachers that year were Professor L.A. Smith,… Read More