Boeuf River steamboat days were happy days. I can tell by the twinkle in Doctor Jordan’s eye as he relates about the Era 10, the steamboat with the most beautiful whistle he’d ever heard. Some weeks he said, as many as three steamboats came up Boeuf River. Besides the Era 10, there was the Tom Parker, the Saline and the Stella Black.
The following works were written in conjunction with the WPA (Works Progress Administration of Louisiana), ca., 1935. These documents have been recently digitized as part of the Louisiana Digital Library, and are… Read More
It’s difficult to find a better source than the works of Bennie McLain Hixon (1923-2014), when it comes to research on Richland Parish and particularly, the first settlements along Boeuf River. Thanks… Read More
Back in August of 1991, many Richland Parish residents will remember the excitement and buzz about the first annual “Pickin’ and Ginnin’ Festival.” The festival always drew large crowds, but after a while, the work involved to pull off a successful festival became too great, and the festival eventually ended. Jennie Joe Siscoe, who often wrote several great historical columns for the Beacon, penned this history about growing cotton in Richland Parish.
The following map shows the northwest portion of present day Richland Parish, as it was in 1850.
Preceding the time that Louisiana joined the United States, the following map shows an early look at land holdings, boundary names, etc
From Richard Nance Hixon’s thesis, The Antebellum History of Richland Parish. Northeast Louisiana University, 1990 – Richland Parish (La.) – 384 pages This map shows the now extinct community of “Ion” which was located on… Read More
Missing in action, First Lieutenant Ray A. Boyd. Sat, Feb 24, 1945 – 1 · The Richland Beacon-News (Rayville, Louisiana, United States of America) · Newspapers.com FIRST LIEUTENANT RAY A. BOYD January… Read More
A J Clack lived around the Mann community, and was married to Emma Ivy McKay. Andrew J. Clack was the grandson of Thompson T. Clack, who moved to the Prarie Jefferson in the 1810’s or earlier. Andrew J Clack is the nephew of Andrew Benjamin Clack, b 1815, who did the most extensive first surveys of Richland, Morehouse, and surrounding parishes.
The Hon. John Ray, James Ray, Henry Bry, and Other Early Distinguished Settlers in Northeast Louisiana
The article below was printed originally in The Ouachita Telegraph on August 25, 1888. It details how this early settler in Northeast Louisiana came in contact with Davy Crockett in Little Rock… Read More
In a great article a few years ago in the Bastrop Daily Enterprise, Wes Helbling wrote a great article commemorating the 250th anniversary of The Baron de Bastrop‘s birthday. Much can be said about… Read More
In anticipation of Louisiana’s Bicentennial Celebration this month, Louisiana Secretary of State Jay Dardenne did an outstanding job of putting together his list of the Top 200 Notable people in Louisiana History. While… Read More
Before Richland Parish existed, the surrounding parishes made up the area we know today as Richland. The areas known today as Start, Crew Lake, Wynn Island, and parts of Girard, were formerly… Read More