There has been much discussion over the years about a mysterious well made of stone located on US Hwy 80 on the east side of Ouachita Parish. If you’re traveling east leaving Monroe, it can be seen
Judge, Louisiana Fifth Judicial District Court, 1894-1900. First practiced law in the town of Rayville, Richland Parish, where he was associated with former Associate Justice of the Louisiana Supreme Court, Robert B. Todd. Elected Parish Attorney and subsequently District Attorney. Formed the firm Potts & Hudson in 1883, remaining senior member there until elected Judge of the Fifth Judicial District in 1894. Appointed by Governor Sanders to revise the Civil Code of Louisiana as a member of the Civil Code Commission. Died at his home in Monroe, Louisiana, April 26, 1913.
The following works were written in conjunction with the WPA (Works Progress Administration of Louisiana), ca., 1935. These documents have been recently digitized as part of the Louisiana Digital Library, and are… Read More
It’s difficult to find a better source than the works of Bennie McLain Hixon (1923-2014), when it comes to research on Richland Parish and particularly, the first settlements along Boeuf River. Thanks… Read More
Successful Planter, Mercantile Businessman, and Esteemed Citizen of Richland Parish Mr. Noble was born in Ouachita parish in 1851, and removed to Richland Parish in 1875, where he has resided ever since…. Read More
Back in August of 1991, many Richland Parish residents will remember the excitement and buzz about the first annual “Pickin’ and Ginnin’ Festival.” The festival always drew large crowds, but after a while, the work involved to pull off a successful festival became too great, and the festival eventually ended. Jennie Joe Siscoe, who often wrote several great historical columns for the Beacon, penned this history about growing cotton in Richland Parish.
My friend Lora Peppers who writes the blog OuachitaParishHistory.com posted a link this week with an AWESOME map of the Ouachita River from even before Fort Miro was founded. There as a… Read More
The following map shows the northwest portion of present day Richland Parish, as it was in 1850.
Preceding the time that Louisiana joined the United States, the following map shows an early look at land holdings, boundary names, etc
This map shows the area known as Rhymes and Clear Lake towards the North, and the extinct community of “Salmagundi.” Known as Ward 7 in Ouachita Parish, the Boeuf River was its boundary on the East.
Uriah Millsaps Sun, Mar 3, 1935 – Page 1 · Monroe Morning World (Monroe, Ouachita, Louisiana) · Newspapers.com
Our friends over at the Piney Woods Journal have a great historical post about the violence and criminal activity that occurred on the Bayou Macon during the reconstruction era. As journal correspondent… Read More
Local Girl Taking Aeronautical Course – Miss Edith Dixon Sat, Apr 13, 1940 – 5 · The Richland Beacon-News (Rayville, Louisiana, United States of America) · Newspapers.com
Monroe Junior College Sat, Jun 13, 1931 – 3 · The Richland Beacon-News (Rayville, Louisiana, United States of America) · Newspapers.com
The Hon. John Ray, James Ray, Henry Bry, and Other Early Distinguished Settlers in Northeast Louisiana
The article below was printed originally in The Ouachita Telegraph on August 25, 1888. It details how this early settler in Northeast Louisiana came in contact with Davy Crockett in Little Rock… Read More