R.F. McGuire Lodge No. 209, Chartered February 15th, 1871
The Vickers House (c.1870) is a story-and-a-half frame late Greek Revival residence located in the small rural community of Alto. Although there has been a rear addition, the house itself has been little altered over the years. The Vickers House is constructed with a pegged frame; however, much of the actual structure is board and batten.
Boeuf River steamboat days were happy days. I can tell by the twinkle in Doctor Jordan’s eye as he relates about the Era 10, the steamboat with the most beautiful whistle he’d ever heard. Some weeks he said, as many as three steamboats came up Boeuf River. Besides the Era 10, there was the Tom Parker, the Saline and the Stella Black.
A low fence encloses the yard and a giant pecan tree with boughs bending near the ground stands guard at the gate to the well-kept Alexander place. Bolivar Alexander was the first to come in the early 1870s, migrating from Mississippi. Later, his brother, R. S. (Dick) Alexander, joined him and bought the present farm from a Mr. Collins in 1876. Since then, four generations have lived here and the family continues to hold deep sentiment for their home pecal beside the Boeuf.
Alto Presbyterian Church – Est. 1873 This church building was built in 1873. The church is both on the Presbyterian Historical Register. The church first belonged to Central Mississippi Presbytery then to… Read More
Successful Planter, Mercantile Businessman, and Esteemed Citizen of Richland Parish Mr. Noble was born in Ouachita parish in 1851, and removed to Richland Parish in 1875, where he has resided ever since…. Read More
Richland Parish has had a total of three courthouses since it’s founding in 1868. All three of these courthouses were located in the same location as the present courthouse.
The Disputed Presidential Election of 1876: Testimony of Richland Parish Residents Before Select Congressional Committee
Congressional Oversight committee hearing interviews with white and black residents of Richland Parish, concerning the highly disputed election results in the 1876 Presidential Election.
Never have we witnessed such universal gloom and sorrow in a community as that occasioned by the sad calamity.
“Auld Lang Syne” A look back at the ‘New Year’s celebrations, resolutions, tragedies and regrets in Richland Parish
We have recently taken time to bid farewell to 2018, while looking forward to all that awaits our future in this last year of our “teens,” 2019. I recently looked back to… Read More
Our friends over at the Piney Woods Journal have a great historical post about the violence and criminal activity that occurred on the Bayou Macon during the reconstruction era. As journal correspondent… Read More
Anyone who has spent much time growing up in Northeast Lousiana has undoubtedly heard a “panther” story or two. As Terry L. Jones writes in his column “Panther Tales,” published in Country… Read More
This church was destroyed within the last twenty-five years, but it’s history was and still is a cherished one. It was placed on the National Register of Historic places back in 1989…. Read More
The following was written in A History of Louisiana, (vol. 2), p. 226, by Henry E. Chambers. Published by The American Historical Society, Inc., Chicago and New York, 1925. William Douglas Humble, of… Read More
From the Ouachita Telegraph, August 2, 1878, page 3. “Various reports of the affair have reached us, no two of which agree, except that all the observers were looking heavenward, some of… Read More
The Hon. John Ray, James Ray, Henry Bry, and Other Early Distinguished Settlers in Northeast Louisiana
The article below was printed originally in The Ouachita Telegraph on August 25, 1888. It details how this early settler in Northeast Louisiana came in contact with Davy Crockett in Little Rock… Read More
In 1890, Rayville was almost renamed Chenault City. Note that this Chenault only has one "L". Apparently this was to honor and impress a mover and shaker in the railroad industry. It… Read More
On February 2, 1874, Harriet Jane “Hattie Jane” Boies, was born to the parents of E.A. Boies, Sr. and Sarah E. Prewitt Boies. She was a direct descendent of a Revolutionay War… Read More
Let’s take a look at some statistics, and the results from every Presidential Campaign since Richland Parish Louisiana was created in 1868.
Winter’s Work – Local Richland Parish Editor Pens ‘Farm Advice’ for Richland Residents During the Christmas Holidays, ca. 1876
There is always plenty of winter work: we never saw a farm so complete that no improvement could be made on it, and there is not one in Richland, that even approaches such perfection, and winter is the time to improve and beautify the farm. Make your farm look like a home; make it attractive to your children, and they will not want to wander off to seek happiness elsewhere; cultivate in them a taste for the beautiful, and they will not be apt to stray from the path of virtue and morality, bat will be not only a help but a comfort and source of happiness to you in your old age.’