Brief Overview of Richland Parish History

On September 29, 1868,
Richland Parish was created on 1869, from Ouachita, Carroll, Franklin and Morehouse Parishes and the parish was named in honor of its rich land. The Parish seat is Rayville.

Creation of Richland Parish in June, 1868 { var scribd = document.createElement(“script”); scribd.type = “text/javascript”; scribd.async = true; scribd.src = “”; var s = document.getElementsByTagName(“script”)[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(scribd, s); })();

Richland Parish Courthouse – 1952

The first courthouse, built in 1870 in the parish seat of Rayville was a two room wood frame building. It was later sold to a church organization who rolled it to the bank of the river, floated it ten miles downstream and converted it to a church which remains in use today. The present courthouse is the parish’s third and was completed in 1952.

Neighboring Parishes:

  • North: Morehouse Parish
  • Northeast: West Carroll Parish; East Carroll Parish
  • East: Madison Parish
  • Southeast: Franklin Parish
  • Southwest: Caldwell Parish
  • West: Ouachita Parish

Cities, Towns, & Communities:

– Alto
– Archibald
– Delhi
– Girard
– Holly Ridge

– Mangham

– Rayville
– Start

Ouachita Parish History Tidbits

Information on Ouachita parish history and genealogy resources.

Louisiana Road Trips RSS (2.0) Feed

Stories, & photos of Richland Parish

Stone House Eats

Upscale Country Food Catering & Lunches


Stories, & photos of Richland Parish

April Rodgers

Reflecting Light


Just another site

Shiloh to Canaan

The Families of Union Parish

%d bloggers like this: