1930's

The Fountain on the “Dixie Overland Highway” near Stubbs Plantation

There has been much discussion over the years about a mysterious well made of stone located on US Hwy 80 on the east side of Ouachita Parish. If you’re traveling east leaving Monroe, it can be seen on the right side of the highway, just as you enter the Stubbs Pecan Orchard.

Most questions about this location involve whether or not this was an old watering well that was located on one of the original “stagecoach” roads.

After researching a few of the original surveys of this location, it is my personal opinion that this specific location was likely not located on the original Vicksburg to Shreveport road, dating back to the 1860s. After close examination, it appears that the original road may have been a bit north of where present day Hwy 80 now lies.

However, the story of this fountain is still very interesting. The following old newspaper clip from the Crowley Post Signal back in 1933 describes the purpose of this fountain. What’s also interesting is that at one time, the location was across from the original Stubbs Plantation.

-Luke Letlow


Rustic Fountains Furnish Water To Louisiana Tourist, ca., 1933

From the Crowley Post Signal, ca., 1933.

By Agathine H. Goldstein (The Louisiana Tourist Bureau)

The motorist in Louisiana today might quench his thirst from fountains of artesian well water along the highways in Ouachita parish. The first of these rustic springs is in a picturesque spot on the Dixie Overland Highway, seven and one-half miles east of Monroe.

Its purpose is two-fold – the travelers’ comfort and the beautification of the road. Built of native iron ore which is found near the Ouachita-Union parish line, the fountain is one of the beauty spots of the vicinity. A venerable live oak overhead provides the necessary shade for the motorist who pauses in his trek for refreshment.

A path of flagstone pavement leads from the highway to the site, which faces the Stubbs’ plantation. The architectural design of this brand new institution in Louisiana is classic in appearance. It has those qualities which are striking for their durability and permanence. Solidly constructed, appropriately situated, and becomingly landscaped, it is proving one of the most popular spots for the tourist, in that section today. About eight miles distant, on State Highway 15, also in Ouachita parish, is another similar structure. A sign. “Drinking Water Ahead,” informs the motorist of this convenience ahead. This site, too, is particularly favored by the motoring populace. A cluster of bushes and shady trees, interspersed with colorful flowers, is to be placed about this drinking fountain. A path of stone pavement will lead to the highway.

This work in Ouachita parish, along with other beautification along the highway, is being directed by W.H. Huckaby, district maintenance superintendent of the Louisiana Highway Commission.

Rustic Fountains Furnish Water To Louisiana Tourist
By Agathine H. Goldstein (The Louisiana Tourist Bureau)
The Crowley Post-Signal, Crowley, Louisiana
25 Nov 1933, Sat  •  Page 3


There’s a great post about Francis P. Stubbs over on this Facebook Page “If you grew up on the Southside of Monroe, La.” as seen below.

The Honorable Francis (Frank) P. Stubbs, Esquire


The Stubbs family was an influential part of Ouachita Parish History. The following blog posts give some very interesting accounts of events that occurred on the Stubbs plantation.

Related Articles of Interest…

“A Murder at Stubbs Plantation?” (ca., 1881)

“Remembering Stubb’s Pecanland: When Pecans Were King.”

Leave a Reply