The “Ouachita Parish” Section of Richland Parish, ca 1857-1868

From Richard Nance Hixon’s thesis, The Antebellum History of Richland Parish.Northeast Louisiana University, 1990 – Richland Parish (La.) – 384 pages

These maps show the area known as Rhymes and Clear Lake towards the North, and the extinct community of “Salmagundi.” Known as Ward 7 in Ouachita Parish, the Boeuf River was its boundary on the East.

The second map, shows many of the surnames of original settlers and landowners in this sections. Included are early ferry crossings such as Crooks’ Ferry, and Eppinette’s Ferry. Some of the surnames include: Burnette, Parritt, Moore, Tillman, Smith, Earle, Bullman, Barton, Holdiness, Slatter, Sillivan, Albritton, Lewis, Fluker, Vickers, Wilkerson, Garrett, Lake, Wisenor, McDonald, Burt, Nesom, Timmons, Myers, Murphy, Sanford, McRae, Peck, Phillips, McIntosh, Hatch, Spruell, McRae, Eppinette, Landerneau, Duchesne, Girod, King & Elmore.

Leave a Reply