From Richard Nance Hixon’s thesis, The Antebellum History of Richland Parish.Northeast Louisiana University, 1990 – Richland Parish (La.) – 384 pages
The following map shows the northwest portion of present day Richland Parish, as it was in 1850. Following the death of Stephen Girard, the area labeled as “Lands Claimed By The City Of Philadelphia” fell largely into dispute due to the will of Girard leaving lands to both Philadelphia, as well as New Orleans. Throughout this dispute, settlers began to move into the region, though titles proved difficult for those who took the risk.
This map shows the Boeuf River, which served as the primary mode of transportation during this era. Also shown are the roads traveled to Monroe, Prarie Jefferson, and Bastrop. The large triangular quadrant shows which lands were initially part of the Baron de Bastrop’s Land Claims. Also shown is the location of Stephen Girard’s old place, as well as the names of many early settlers, which include: Wynn, Gibson, Williams, Cameron, Webb, King, Cooksey, Jones, Rundell, Gay, Parker, Langford, Bradley, Collins, Story, Chennault, Scott, Dyer, Young, Pickett, and the holding of Moses and St. John R. Liddell.