The “Carroll Parish” Section of Richland Parish, ca 1858-1868

From Richard Nance Hixon’s thesis, The Antebellum History of Richland Parish.Northeast Louisiana University, 1990 – Richland Parish (La.) – 384 pages

This is a great map created to show the early settlements of eastern Richland Parish, including the stagecoach stop at Charley Carpenter’s. Also shown are Midway and Deerfield. From Richard Nance Hixon’s thesis, The Antebellum History of Richland Parish.

The second map, shown below, lists many of the early land owners in this section. Some of these surnames include: Denegre, Towne, Suggs, Cook, Stansborough, King, Green, Davis, Neill, Smith, Bell, Thompson, Myers, Lane, Lee, Pugh, Brown & Johnston, Perry, Carpenter, Calloway, Gwin, Morancey, Shannon, Strong, Evans, Munholland, Manuss, Bryant, Watt, Stovall, Hennington, McKelvey, Clack, DeFrance, Pabst, Blount, Dunn, Slade, Haygood, Nail, Lyon, Richardson, Calvitt, Cole, Scarborough, Leggett, Brent, Purvis, Couch, Owen, Bishop, Trezevant, Travis, Spade, Scott, Jackson, McKee, McDonald, Upton, McCord, Pike, Watts, and Caldwell. Click on either map of a large, high resolution version.

Leave a Reply