Mangham (Richland) – Mangham was incorporated in 1907, but a community was there as early as Reconstruction days. In 1915, fire destroyed blocks of the town. The great flood of 1927 brought further catastrophe. The town survived the flood, a later tornado, and the Great Depression. Mangham was named for Wiley P. Mangham because he sold land to the industrial pioneer of the first cotton gin. Wilbur Kline officially came up with the name Mangham. WIley P Mangham was better known in Richland Parish as the founder of the Richland Beacon at Rayville in 1869; he served as its editor until his death in 1896. His son Horace Mangham and later his grandson Hervey Mangham succeeded him.
How Richland Parish’s MANGHAM Got It’s Name
Leeper, Clare D’Artois. Louisiana Place Names: Popular, Unusual, and Forgotten Stories of Towns, Cities, Plantations, Bayous, and Even Some Cemeteries. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, 2012. Print.