Crew Lake (Richland) – The Crew Lake community, just east of Monroe, was named for the lake near which it is situated. The lake—actually a small river—was once a popular fishing spot. The town of Crew Lake was small but had its own post office, which opened in February 1875 with Thomas Sorg as postmaster. It closed seven months later, and its mail was routed through Alto. The Crew Lake post office opened again briefly in 1893–94. In March 1901, it opened for a third time and remained open until November 1930.
How Richland Parish’s CREW LAKE Got It’s Name
Leeper, Clare D’Artois. Louisiana Place Names: Popular, Unusual, and Forgotten Stories of Towns, Cities, Plantations, Bayous, and Even Some Cemeteries. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, 2012. Print.
Categories: 1890's, 19th Century, Crew Lake (Community), Richland Pioneers
Leave a Reply