Bayou Macon (Richland) – Bayou Macon is the dividing line between Madison and Richland parishes. According to local tradition, it took its name from Samuel Mason, the leader of the Kentucky Cave-in-Rock bandits who was slain near Vidalia, Louisiana, in 1803. About 1840, a road was cut through the canebrakes and swamps of Richland Parish, and stagecoach service began on this road in 1849. An important adjunct to this early road were the ferries. Richland Parish Resources and Facilities “History” claims that the franchises for the operation of the ferries were auctioned to the highest bidder, and all ferries on Bayou Macon and Boeuf River charged “two-bits for horse and rider, dime for foot passengers, and 12 1/2 cents a wheel for wagons and carriages.”
How Richland Parish’s BAYOU MACON Got It’s Name
Leeper, Clare D’Artois. Louisiana Place Names: Popular, Unusual, and Forgotten Stories of Towns, Cities, Plantations, Bayous, and Even Some Cemeteries. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, 2012. Print.
Categories: 1840's, 19th Century, Cypress Bayou, Historical Milestones, Richland Pioneers
Leave a Reply